Pobal is a not-for-profit company that manages programmes on behalf of the Irish Government and the EU.
We are an intermediary that works on behalf of Government to support communities and local agencies toward achieving social inclusion, reconciliation and equality. We do this by managing funding and providing resources for suitable programmes. In 2016, we provided management and support services to circa 24 programmes for four different Government departments and EU bodies.
Pobal’s activities and priorities are shaped by the context and policies laid out in several reports, including the Programme for Government – Government for National Recovery 2011-2016, the Action Plan for Jobs and Pathways to Work.
· We work to engage local communities in the development process, using a partnership approach.
· We provide additional supports to enhance social inclusion and equality for individuals, groups and communities that are most marginalised.
· We support new programmes by sharing our knowledge, expertise and experience.
· We promote co-ordination between communities, State agencies and other stakeholders.
· We aim to contribute to the development of Government policy by sharing the data, analysis and best practice from the programmes we manage.
· We keep our administrative costs low and prioritise delivering effective local services.
· We aim to be transparent and accountable for our financial, legal and governance activities.
Pobal works on an all-island basis, with offices in Dublin, Monaghan, Cork, Clifden, Sligo and Letterkenny. Over 300 staff are employed. Effective budgeting while delivering high quality services is important to Pobal; administration costs are currently under 3% of the funds we manage.