LEADER Programme 2014-2020
Pobal supports the Department of Rural and Community Development in the administration of a number of elements of the LEADER Programme.
Since its launch in 1991, LEADER has provided rural communities across the European Union with the resources to enable local partners to actively engage and direct the local development of their area, through community-led local development. In Ireland, under the LEADER Programme for 2014-2020, a budget of €250 million in grant aid is being provided to support rural communities and local businesses.
As programme manager, the Department of Rural and Community Development is responsible for managing the LEADER Programme. Further information on the current Programme is available here.
How does the Programme Operate?
The LEADER Programme is administered at a local level by 29 Local Action Groups (LAGs) who operate on administrative or county boundaries and are made up of local representatives from the community, public and private sector.
Each LAG is responsible for selecting and awarding LEADER funding to projects within their geographical area. A project must be aligned with the priorities of the Local Development Strategy (LDS). The LDS is a 5 year plan that was developed by the LAG, in conjunction with the the rural community, to support the sustainable development of the area. Grant aid is provided to projects under the following priorities/themes:
|Theme 1||Theme 2||Theme 3|
|Economic Development, Enterprise Development|
and Job Creation
|Social Inclusion||Rural Environment|
How to apply for LEADER funding?
For further information on the LEADER Programme in your local area, including how to apply for funding, please see the list of: Local Action Group & Implementing Partners in the Resources section below.
What is Pobal’s role in LEADER?
Pobal is supporting the Department in delivering a number of distinct elements of the LEADER Programme, this includes:
- Appraisal and Selection of Local Development Strategies (LDS)
- Annual Review of the Implementation of the LDS
- Performance Monitoring
- Financial Verification checks
- Roll out & Technical Support on the LEADER ICT system
Pobal has developed a series of guidance documents, specifically for Local Action Groups and Implementing Partners, to support them in the delivery of the LEADER Programme.
These guidance documents are available in the Resource section below.
- Introduction to the LEADER ICT System 3.15 MBLast Updated 11th October 2018
- Monthly Return User Guide 12.80 MBLast Updated 12th September 2019
- Monthly Return Stages 642.72 KBLast Updated 12th September 2019
- Project Record User Guide 20.10 MBLast Updated 3rd January 2019
- Project Record Stages 131.20 KBLast Updated 12th December 2018
- Project Pathways 382.00 KBLast Updated 29th June 2018
- Co-operation Projects Addendum 869.73 KBLast Updated 14th December 2018
- Project Claim User Guide 13.05 MBLast Updated 3rd January 2019
- Project Claim Stages 115.13 KBLast Updated 12th December 2018
- Article 48 Checks Addendum 10.72 MBLast Updated 7th January 2019
- SharePoint Documents 1.60 MBLast Updated 14th December 2018
- How to Change Internet Explorer Settings 500.49 KBLast Updated 12th June 2018
- Troubleshooting Guide 1.40 MBLast Updated 14th December 2018
- Performance-Monitoring-Guidance-Document 1.26 MBLast Updated 12th June 2018
- Error-Views-Guidance-Document 588.32 KBLast Updated 12th June 2018
- FTE Calculator Guidance 508.66 KBLast Updated 8th October 2018
- FTE Calculation Tool Sept 18 70.53 KBLast Updated 8th October 2018
- LEADER Performance Monitoring Guidance updated Sept 2018 1.23 MBLast Updated 8th October 2018
- Local Action Groups and Implementing Partners 359.50 KBLast Updated 18th July 2018
- Overview of Stage 2 Invitation to Submit an LDS 979.23 KBLast Updated 12th June 2018
- LDS Framework Guidelines 1.63 MBLast Updated 12th June 2018
- LEADER Logo 46.31 KBLast Updated 8th November 2019
- Government of Ireland Logo 83.37 KBLast Updated 8th November 2019
- Project 2040 Logo 5.58 KBLast Updated 8th November 2019
- European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development Logo 63.51 KBLast Updated 8th November 2019
- Pobal Logo 56.33 KBLast Updated 8th November 2019